Monday 17 December 2012

Shut the front door!

It always seemed that whenever I received some disappointing news about my prospects for pregnancy, Myrtle would unknowingly give me an update with her good news. The day I received the call from my RE indicating that we would likely need to do IVF with ICSI, little Myrtle's birth announcement arrived in the post. Now I was causing that situation for Co-worker. She was in her two week wait after her third IUI attempt and had a BFN on the morning I announced my news. A few days later, things got worse for her as she started experiencing pains and an ultrasound confirmed that her ovaries were hyper stimulated with 6 cm cysts on each side. Her RE's plan was to start her on birth control pills for three months and to continue her evaluation with a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy prior to starting IVF. Is there anything more depressing than taking birth control pills when you want to be pregnant? The only words I have for her is to remind her that sometimes you need to take a step backward in order to move forward.

As the work week drew closer to Friday, I thought of something else: I reminded her that she could still drink. She looked at me sheepishly and then indicated that we needed to go somewhere private to talk. It was the end of her 2ww after her IUI and her RE asked her to do one more pregnancy test. It was faintly positive and her first beta was 151. "Shut the front door!" I exclaimed, adopting one of her favourite expressions. If my pregnancy was seeming to be too good to be true, this now felt like a dream. We were both pregnant! How would the office manager react when we informed her? What would be the impact on the office with us both out on maternity leave? None of that really mattered at that moment. I couldn't have been any happier. Myrtle would always be my best friend, and while it would have been fun to be pregnant at the same time as her, I treasure my friendship with Co-worker and am so excited that would be experiencing our pregnancies together.

1 comment: